||TIGGE, the THORPEX Interactive Grand Global Ensemble, is a key component of THORPEX: a World Weather Research Programme to accelerate the improvements in the accuracy of 1-day to 2-week high-impact weather forecasts. The key objectives of TIGGE are:
- An enhanced international collaboration that has as its goal the development of ensemble predictions between cooperating operational centres and universities.
- Developing new methods for combining ensembles from different sources and of correcting for systematic errors.
- A deeper understanding of the contributions of observations, initial conditions, and model uncertainties to forecast errors.
- A deeper understanding of the feasibility of interactive ensemble systems responding dynamically to changing uncertainty. This includes uses for adaptive observing, variable ensemble size, and on-demand regional ensembles.
- Exploiting new technology for grid computing and high-speed data transfers.
- Testing concepts of a TIGGE Prediction Centre to produce ensemble-based predictions of high-impact weather.
- The development of a prototype future Global Interactive Forecasting System.